<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

I keep telling myself I'll update this here thing and then ending up not doing it. Oy. (I’ve also started saying “oy” all the time – not aloud, but to myself and in my journals)

It’s not that nothing is going on… although it feels like it sometimes. The pace of interviews has slowed, unfortunately, leading me to pull my hair out. I’m so impatient to be done with this first group of interviews (the evangelical students). I need to do seven more this week to meet my little “quota” and scheduling has been slow. I’m changing my recruiting method a little bit, so hopefully that’ll help.

Also, I had a revelation, which is that I can use the long periods of waiting (seems I’m always waiting) productively! Yes, it’s the American way. I’ve been reading & taking notes for my psychoacoustics honors thesis, which makes me happy because it really does need to get done, but sad because it’s not what I came to Uganda to do. It does fill the hours though.

Living with my "family" is great. I’ve been having good conversations with the father especially about his life, Ugandan culture vs. US, the church here. I feel a little awkward at times because I’m not sure what my role is – am I a guest or a member of the family? It’s also hard to lose some of the independence I had when I was living in the guesthouse – rearranging my schedule to fit theirs, etc. But overall, it’s been good.

Other things: on Sunday we had lunch out (worst Mexican food I have ever had, period) and we ended up sitting with “the Ugandan Elvis” as he called himself. Apparently he’s a dentist who also plays music and hosts a gospel music video television show. He sang a bit of “All Shook Up” for me and I have to admit, I was convinced.

I’ve not been spending nearly as much time at Internet cafes, which is tough because the internet is my friend! Well, not so much the internet, more the connection to family & friends.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?